okay i decided to make a post explaining why asian stereotypes, asian racial ‘jokes’, or anything mocking asians is offensive
- when someone tells an asian girl that she is “pretty for an asian,” it is a backhanded compliment. It is implying that the women of asian background is not attractive, and that you’re making an exception for that one asian girl that you do find attractive.
- "asians all look the same"- when we hear this ignorant statement, it makes us feel that our different cultures, backgrounds, and diversity isn’t recognized and that we all get labeled under the stereotype. The asian race is diverse and people need to know that!!!
- when people think it’s funny to mock the asian language- you know, the “ching chong” jokes?? it’s disrespectful and hurtful. There are over two thousand different asian dialects and categorizing them under one, stereotypical, and unappealing phonetic is wrong and definitely not funny.
- and of course the common “all asians are smart” stereotype. Although people who aren’t from an asian background think this is a compliment, it isn’t. When we get bad grades, people automatically say “but you’re asian.” And when we get good grades, people say, “it’s because you’re asian.” Using our own race against us is dehumanizing. Yes, we know we’re asian. Thank you for reminding us.
- there are loads more but these are just the common ones that annoy me
There’s this shitty thing that happens when you learn about the reality of racism, sexism and misogyny. You start to hear it from the mouths of your parents, grandparents, friends and siblings and you can’t ignore it anymore but you’ll see how many of them will ignore you when you speak out about it.
Stuck in Love (2012) dir. Josh Boone
"My biggest mistake was thinking you could fix me. Only I can fix me."
all of my friends are so talented
and here i am
i’m going to become a groupie
very small dog? puppy
very big dog? puppy
very young dog? puppy
very old dog? puppy
do you ever see your face from a different angle and have a mental breakdown
casual reminder that Elle Woods scored a 179 on the LSAT, which is one point shy of a perfect score.
Casual reminder that Whatshisface here had family connections and was a legacy and shit, whereas Elle Woods came out of nowhere.
casual reminder that Elle Woods actually had an amazing background in real life issues that people dismissed as unimportant but managed to not only learn the law, but learned how to apply the law.
Casual reminder that Elle Woods used her lawyer skills to save a woman from an abusive relationship and also save another woman from trumped up murder charges and basically what I’m saying is you go, girl, go get ‘em Elle Woods, thank you for this movie.
what’s fantastic about this movie is that it’s not that fucked up brand of feminism where the girls who arent like other girls and sip tea and read hemingway look down on the blonde party sluts. the message of the movie is like, you can be blonde and attractive AND enjoy stuff like shopping and partying and you can still be smart and kick ass!!!
#and it focused on female friendships!!! her best friends were never less than her!! and older female best friends!! and didn’t pit her against vivian but had them grow into close friends!!#THE MOST IMPORTANT FEMINIST MEDIA OF OUR TIME
Awww, you tried so hard, but unfortunately I can’t hear you over the sound of my debt-free college degree and massive disposable income.